1984 BOOK 1, CHAPTER 2-6 QUOTE/PASSAGE

Quote (page 28): "The sacred principles of Ingsoc: Newspeak, doublethink, the mutability of the past. He felt as though he were wandering in the forests of the sea bottom, lost in a monstrous world where he himself was the monster. He was alone. The past was dead, the future was unimaginable. What certainty had he that a single human creature now living was on his side? And what way of knowing that the dominion of the Party would not endure forever?"



Response: Winston is in a corner and trapped in regards to the Party's ridiculous ideology. This abstract issue eventually leads to the protagonist's end. This passage quite caught my interest " though he were wandering in the forests of the sea bottom, lost in a monstrous world where he himself was the monster", this sentence really showcases the turmoil of his thoughts and his conception of reality. The tone of the passage screams a dire need of change in the protagonist life. With this passage, the reader can foreshadow that because of the principles of Ingsoc, it ultimately leads to Winston's rebellion. This passage really summarizes what the whole purpose of the satire novel is, which is to tell about a character's progress of rebelling against an authoritarian regime. This passage reminds me of The Giver, in which the main character couldn't handle the dystopia of his environment. 



Comments

  1. I love the vocabulary used in this post and the connection to "The Giver." You seem to have a strong understanding of the storyline and what the meaning behind it is. This is great because you will have more time to analyze the reading more in depthly instead of trying to understand what is being presented to us. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very great analysis of this quote. I've never read The Giver but I definitely want to look into that story. I definitely felt that his feelings of what was going on Oceania aligned with how you explained them. Winston is definitely negatively affected by this world and it shows through the questions addressed in the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comparing this to The Giver definitely gave me more perspective. I enjoyed reading your analysis on this quote because it allowed me to think deeper about it. I could really relate to how he was feeling and understood his situation more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't say that I agree with your whole analysis of your opinion but I do agree with your view of the main character. I can also see the main character having a hard time accepting his reality of his world and his place in society. I think it seems that he can't believe that all that has happen and that its not going to change anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winston really does feel trapped. I think this quote does a good job of explaining how he feels trapped. I think that there is a connection between him feeling trapped and alone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1984 BOOK 2, CHAPTERS 3-6 QUOTE/PASSAGE

1984 BOOK 3, CHAPTERS 1-3 QUOTE/PASSAGE