1984 BOOK 3, CHAPTERS 1-3 QUOTE/PASSAGE

Quote (pg. 295): "‘Down with Big Brother!’ Yes, I said that! Said it over and over again, it seems. Between you and me, old man, I'm glad they got me before it went any further […]."
Image result for 1984 children
"Who denounced you?" said Winston.
"It was my little daughter," said Parsons with a sort of doleful pride. "She listened at the keyhole. Heard what I was saying, and nipped off to the patrols the very next day. Pretty smart for a nipper of seven, eh? I don't bear her any grudge for it. In fact, I'm proud of her. It shows I brought her up in the right spirit, anyway." 

Image result for julius caesar and brutus betrayal
Response: The children of Oceania enforces the ideology and values of the Party. Oceania's plan continues to develop because of the commitment of the children. The children are similar to extra surveillance tools for the Party's regime. In this passage, Parson describes how his daughter turns him into the thought police. His daughter is so passionate and so deeply brainwashed by the Party that she doesn't hesitate to snitch on her own blood. The dialogue is interesting in the passage, the way that is structured helps me visualize the situation. The word choice is also interesting, "nipped off" I didn't know exactly what that meant but I could use context clues to help me figure out what it means. I also find it intriguing how the father didn't feel betrayed her hurt, "I don't bear her any grudge for it. In fact, I'm proud of her. It shows I brought her up in the right spirit, anyway". I would feel furious. The children are so deeply influenced that it is kind of disturbing and sad. This reminds me of the story of Julius Caesar. When Brutus betrayed Julius. 

Comments

  1. I though that this was a really interesting part of the last couple of chapters. It seems so completely outrageous to us because we are raised a specific way, to be completely faithful to our families. I personally have never really seen why loyalty to blood is so important; I tend to believe that loyalty is earned, not passed down through bloodline. What strikes me about this line so much is that Parsons seems so genuinely devoted to Big Brother and the Party. I don't think Parson's' daughter just betrayed him, but betrayed him wrongfully, sending him off to be tortured when he likely didn't actually say anything in his sleep.

    I also think it is really interesting that you say you would be furious if your child did that to you. I mean, I can totally see why, but I can completely understand why Parsons isn't. His whole goal was to raise children devoted to the Party, so his daughter has done exactly what she was raised to do. Besides, unlike us, Parsons does not live in a world where loyalty is expected from family. The Party has made it a point to break the ties between parents and their children, lovers, and denied any chance for true friendship. Parsons is more surprised that he apparently was harboring rebellious thoughts rather than his daughter was so willing to offer him up to the Thought Police. He couldn't have "brought her up in the right spirit" and still expected loyalty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joanah! I was just reading an analysis with the same quote. I found your perspective on it very true and insightful. I, too, would've been furious if my own child turned me in for a ridiculous crime. I liked how you made multiple connections and brought up aspects that you were confused on. The connection with Julius Caesar stood out to me the most. Julius and Brutus were basically brothers and to be betrayed by him was saddening. Can you define what Orwell meant by "nipped off"? Overall, I enjoyed this week's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Joanah! I really like your analysis on this quote. I would also be really upset if my own child turned me in. Its crazy how brain washed the citizens of Oceania are. the fact that he wasn't even upset--more proud about being turned in by his own daughter is wild. I thin your persective on this quote really pinpoints a lot of main ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the dialogue is interesting in this passage. The details and word choices helped me visualize everything that happened. Also, relating 1984 to the story of Julius Caesar was a unique approach. I really like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your picture of the evil kids make this blog post better! I like how you brought up Julius Caesar as a comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great quote because it shows that the children only care about the party. The children do not even care about the people who gave them life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1984 BOOK 2, CHAPTERS 3-6 QUOTE/PASSAGE

1984 BOOK 1, CHAPTER 2-6 QUOTE/PASSAGE