1984 BOOK 2, CHAPTERS 7-10 QUOTE/PASSAGE

Quote (page 183): "The conspiracy that he had dreamed of did exist, and he had reached the outer edges of it […].

What was happening was only the working-out of a process that had started years ago. The first step had been a secret, involuntary thought, the second had been the opening of the diary. He had moved from thoughts to words, and now from words to actions. The last step was something that would happen in the Ministry of Love." 

Response: His path to his rebellion is finally complete! He went from starting a journal, to having an unlawful sexual interaction, to the committed arrival of the Brotherhood by O’Brien. All of this has finally made Winston an ultimate and true rebel. I'm so glad that Winston is finally able to reach that level of rebellion that he so highly desired. I found this aspect of the quote interesting, "the conspiracy that he had dreamed of did exist, and he had reached the outer edges of it". I like how the author used a metaphor mentioning "outer edges of it", this helps me visualize how much he truly wanted this rebellion. The way Winston describes his journey of rebellion shows his passion. And up till now, he is still proud and thrilled, not caring about the consequences. I find that quite bold. This quote shows Winston's character and personality. I felt this quote has a major significance to the story has a whole. It expresses the protagonist's progress and his goals. I feel like this is the climax of the story in fact. After this, more and more interesting events will occur. 

Comments

  1. Hey Joanah! Great job. It's still crazy to me that Winston opened up so easily to O'Brien. in the society they live in if one has thoughts of rebellion they have consequences. I wouldn't think to tell anyone because I was scared. But Winston trusted O'Brien because of the look they gave each other. My mom always says don't even trust your own shadow, and if I lived in a society like this, I would for sure live by these words. I really think O'Brien is playing with Winston, he's not on Winston side. I say this because I'm pretty sure if O'Brien did want a rebellion he would be more cautious of who he's talking to. This whole friendship or brotherhood between them isn't real.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1984 BOOK 2, CHAPTERS 3-6 QUOTE/PASSAGE

1984 BOOK 3, CHAPTERS 1-3 QUOTE/PASSAGE

1984 BOOK 1, CHAPTER 2-6 QUOTE/PASSAGE